Topic of the Moment

[Club Rainbow][slideshow]
Powered by Blogger.

Cold Weather Acclimatisation? Part 2

Time to round up my experience with cold weather acclimatisation (CWA).

First, I answer the main question, does CWA work? The short answer is yes. Yes, I was freezing my ass off in Melbourne. But that does not mean that CWA has failed. Rather, it points to the fact that my protocol is imperfect for the scenario I was undertaking. If I had not undertaken CWA, perhaps I could have ended up in a worse place. And if I have not fallen ill and broke protocol too early, I may have performed much better. There is simply no way for me to explore an 'alternate ending' and come to a true conclusion.

So why do I still say yes? Mainly because my response to cold did got blunted. I started only being able to handle 6 icepacks on my back for 15 minutes, I ended with 14 icepacks across my torso for up to 90 minutes. I hated cold showers. I used to shiver upon exiting the bathroom into an air-con room even after a hot shower, but now I could do cold showers comfortably and enter the same room with no thermal discomfort. Based on the above, I concluded that CWA does work, but what I did was not enough to prepare me for Melbourne's winter.

What other observation did I made while undergoing CWA? Here's my absolutely subjective findings!

1. I sleep better
I usually ice myself right before bed. Being encased in an ice suit is actually quite relaxing. After the initial thermal discomfort, I started to enjoy the coolness provided by the gel pack. Compared to my usual pre-bed ritual, the icing helps me enter a state of sleep slightly earlier.

2. I look better

Totally subjective! After almost 2 weeks of CWA, I do note that I'm a tad bit leaner than usual. I'm also more toned without first having to do a pre-photoshoot workout. The above photo was taken 12 days after following my CWA protocol, without having done any workout prior to the random selfie. Perhaps it is due to the extra calories consumed overall by the raised metabolism. Or maybe it is due to a form of cryolipolysis (1). In short, cryolipolysis is a technique in which surface fat cells are killed by the cold, and would leave the body via metabolic pathway. It is more likely due to the former, as the result from cryolipolysis usually take a longer time to 'surface.' Regular training and exercise coupled with CWA resulted in faster result due to heightened metabolism.

Other Benefits?
But what other benefits would CWA provide besides the acclimatization itself? Adiponectin would be the answer! Adiponectin is a protein hormone in the human body with both anti-inflammation (2) and anti-oxidation (3) property. Bout of cold exposure has been show to increase adiponcetin in human by up to 70% (4).  Adiponectin has been shown to reduce inflammation in the cardiovascular system and increases insulin sensitivity in mice. Reducing cardiovascular disease and diabetes risk at the same time.

Obesity, diabetes and cardiovascular diseases have always been closely linked, and adiponcetin could be the key to fighting them. Experimental on mice does not always translate into results in human, but the potential is there for men to harness and use cold exposure for a stronger, fitter body.

Lin Yimian, CSCS, SGX

1. Zelickson, B., Egbert, B. M., Preciado, J., Allison, J., Springer, K., Rhoades, R. W., & Manstein, D. (2009). Cryolipolysis for noninvasive fat cell destruction: initial results from a pig model. Dermatologic Surgery, 35(10): 1462-1470.
2. Ouchi, N., & Walsh, K. (2007). Adiponectin as an anti-inflammatory factor. Clinica Chimica Acta, 380(1-2): 24-30.
3. Liu, Y., Palanivel, R., Rai, E., Park, M., Gabor, T. V., Scheid, M. P., Xu, A., & Sweeney, G. (2015). Adiponectin stimulates autophagy and reduce oxidative stress to enhance insulin sensitivity during high-fat diet feeding in mice. Diabetes, 64(1): 36-48.
4. Imbeault, P., Depault, I., & Haman, F. (2008). Cold exposure increases adiponectin levels in men. Metabolism, 58(4): 552-559.

No comments: